If you are finding that your dog is having behavior problems, it may because he or she is bored and has excess energy that needs to be released.
Here is a list of 7 fun ways you can keep your dog active while sneaking some physical fitness in for yourself!
1. Go for a simple work out
It does not matter where you take your dog for a walk as long as they can get out of the house and experience the outdoor surroundings and help with their mental stimulation. The owner during this time gets to create a bond with their dog which increases loyalty and trust.
- Advice: An ideal walk for most dogs is 30 min but for high-energy breeds you need to strive for an hour.
2. Go for a run
Going for a run will help keep your dogs heart healthy, minimize stress, increase bone density and keep their blood pressure in check. Likewise, you will also have the same positive effects by going for a run with your dog.
- Advice: If you have not ran with your dog before start off slow.
3. Play Fetch
Fetch is a classic game that dogs enjoy and also allows your dog to stay active and healthy. It is also a great bonding activity for the both of you.
4. Have fun with playing tag
A simple game of tag and having your dog chase after you is a great way to keep your dog and yourself active.
- Advice: Get your dog excited by showing him or her a treat and start running away while calling his or her name.
5. Agility course
An agility course is a great way to keep your dog active but also challenges their mental health too.
- Advice: Purchasing an agility course can be expensive; however, you can create one on your own for a lot cheaper. Hammer some long sticks in the ground for your dog to weave his or hers way through them.
6. Go swimming
As summer is soon approaching and the weather is getting warmer swimming is an excellent source of a cardio workout. Swimming is especially a great form of exercise for older dogs who suffer from arthritis and other joint problems.
- Advice: If you do not live near a lake, try and find if your city offers hydrotherapy for your dog.
7. Join a race
If you and your dog are always active and trying to find something different and challenging to do join a race. Now a days and especially in North America, there are local runs that you and your dog can participate in.
- Advice: to avoid getting yourself and your dog tangled up use a short leash.