Dog treats are a great way to train your dog or even treat them if they have done something good. And as pet owners we love to spoil our furry loved ones once in a while.
However, there is always this concern if the dog treats your buying your dog are safe and healthy; especially after that recall on the beef jerky from china.
This is why it is a good idea to make your own dog treats at home. This way you know exactly what is going into the treats and you do not need to be concerned about your dog’s health.
However, many pet owners think that making dog treats are complicated and take too much time. Nevertheless, making homemade dog treats can fun and easy.
Here is a list of homemade dog recipes that you can try out at home:
Frozen Peanut Butter Yogurt Dog Treats
During the summer, it can get really hot and the best way to cool down is by having a frozen treat. The Frozen Peanut Butter Yogurt Dog Treat is perfect because it is super easy to make and it is healthier than a lot of the store bought treats.
- 32 ounces vanilla yogurt
- 1 cup peanut butter
- Melt peanut butter in the microwave
- Combine your yogurt and melted peanut butter
- Pour the mixture into cupcake papers
- Place in the freezer
Dog cookies are the perfect treat when trying to train your dog in almost anything. With this Dog Cookie recipe, it is easy to make and you will know exactly what goes into it.
- 2 ½ cups of whole wheat flour
- ¾ cup nonfat dry milk powder
- 1 egg, beaten
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 2 cubes bouillon beef
- ¾ cups boiling water
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees. Lightly grease one cookie sheet
- Dissolve bouillon cubes in boiling water and allow to cool
- Combine the flour, dry milk, egg, oil, beef and brown sugar. Mix well and knead dough for 1 minute.
- On a floured surface roll out dough to about ¼ inch thickness. Cut out bones and place on cookie sheet.
- Bake for 30 minutes and allow to cool
Apple Crunch Pupcakes
Apple Crunch Pupcakes are those perfect treats to spoil your dog once in a while. With simple ingredients and easy to follow directions you will have this treat made in no time.
- 2 ¾ cups water
- ¼ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1/8 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 medium egg
- 4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup dried unsweetened apple chips
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- Preheat oven 350 degrees
- Mix water, applesauce, honey, egg and vanilla in a bowl
- Add remaining ingredients and mix until blended
- Pour into greased muffin pan
- Bake for 1 ¼ hours and allow to cool
During the hot summers, dogs tend to get heated up a lot quicker compared to humans. This is why it is important to keep them cool. One thing you can help keeping them cool is with a dog popsicle!
- 1 quart fruit juice
- 1 Banana mashed
- ½ cup yogurt
- Mix ingredients together
Bacon & Chicken Puppy Cakes
Your dog will love you for making these puppy cakes. These special treats will keep you in the good books for a very long time!
- 3 strips of bacon
- 3 cups of whole wheat flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- ½ cup butter softened
- 6 eggs beaten
- ½ cup corn oil
- 2 jars chicken baby food
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- Preheat oven 325 degrees
- Grease and flour two 8” round cake pans
- Fry the bacon until crispy. Let drain and then crumble
- Mix together the flour and baking powder
- In large bowl, beat the butter until smooth
- Beat in eggs and corn oil
- Stir in chicken baby food and carrots
- Add the flour mixture and mix together
- Pour the batter in the cake pans
- Bake for 60 minutes
- Let cool
Frozen Meat Balls
Who doesn’t love meatballs? These frozen meatballs are the perfect treat for the warm weather and your dog will still get his or hers protein.
- 1 ½ cup dry ground dog food
- ½ cup plain breadcrumbs
- 1 lb. lean ground beef
- ¼ cup honey
- 1/8 cup unsweetened applesauce
- Cook the ground beef, breaking apart into small pieces. Once cooked pour out the grease.
- Blend dog food in a food processor
- Whisk together the blended dog food and bread crumbs in a bowl
- Stir together the meat mixture into the dry mixture
- Cover a baking sheet with parchment paper
- Using a small cookie scooper press firmly to get as much as you can. Place on the prepared sheet.
- Place in your freezer until frozen.