Bees and Wasp Dangers For Pets

Bees And Wasp Dangers For Pets

In the Summer and Spring time the weather is a bit nicer and it is a great opportunity to spend more time outdoors with your pets. Even though the weather is nice there are some dangers for your pet that include stings and bites from insects.

As dogs are naturally curious animals they love to run around a stick their nose in almost everything including bees and wasps nests. Outdoor cats also love to play with insects and pounce on them for fun. As a result this means that both cats and dogs have the potential to be stung and bitten by insects.

These stings and bites can result in swelling, bumps, blotches and some pain and discomfort.

Some pets can have a bad reaction to the sting which can result in serious health problems. Therefore, it is important to know what to do if your pet gets stung by a bee or a wasp.

Why are Stings Painful?

The two most common insects that people are afraid to get stung by are bees and wasps. The bite or the puncture of a sting is not what is painful, but it is the poison that is injected into the body. A bee sting is when the stinger is left in the skin which kills the bee. A wasps stinger is not left in the skin and is more painful as a wasp can sting more than one time.

Symptoms to Look Out For

When your pet gets stung it is important to recognize the symptoms so you are able to bring relief and comfort quickly.

Here is a list of some of the possible symptoms that your pet may experience if they get stung by a bee or a wasp:

  • Swelling
  • Fever or low body temperature
  • Wheezing
  • Trembling
  • Vomiting
  • Rapid breathing
  • Redness

The Dangers of Bees and Wasps

In most cases when your cat or dog gets stung by a bee or a wasp it would be just painful and irritating.

However, in some cases depending where your pet gets stung and if they are allergic there are some things that you need to be aware of and concerned about.

Inside The Nose or The Throat – If your pet gets stung in the nose or the throat this can be concerning. This is because the swelling can block the air way which can cause your pet to have difficulties breathing. If your pet gets stung in the mouth it is important to go to your veterinarian immediately.

An Allergic Reaction – Some pets just like humans can be allergic to the bees and wasps poison. If your pet gets stung you should make sure that your pet sees the veterinarian as soon as possible.

Some signs of an allergic reaction:

  • Weakness
  • Difficulty breathing
  • Excessive swelling

Some of the possible treatments include:

  • Antihistamines
  • Steroids
  • Pet medication
  • Intravenous fluids

What to do if Your Pet Has Been Stung

Remove The Stinger – if you can easily see the stinger embedded in your pet’s skin, the best thing to do is to remove the stinger with a clean pair of tweezers. This is because bees leave the stinger attached to the skin and it has the possibility of still injecting the poison into your pet’s body. If you are unsure of how to remove a stinger it would be a good idea to consult your veterinarian.

Over The Counter Solutions – As long as your pet are not showing signs of an allergic reaction and are just in pain with some swelling; you probably would not need to see the veterinarian. In this case you can usually get Benadryl which can help with the swelling; in pill or ointment form.

Cold Packs or Compressors – can help with the pain and reduce swelling and inflammation caused by the sting. Simply apply the cold pack or ice to the swelling for 10 to 15 minutes a few times throughout the day.

Ice or Baking Soda – if your pet has been stung in the mouth it is difficult to help relieve the pain. However, if you give your pet a bowl of ice or water with some baking soda in it; this can help reduce the swelling and the pain.

Visit Your Veterinarian – if the reaction of the sting is getting worse or if your pet has had an allergic reaction; it is important to see your veterinarian and get professional help.


Unfortunately, there is no prevention from bee and wasp bites, it just a part of Mother Nature.

However, if you know what to do if your pet has been stung this will allow you to ensure that your pet stays happy and out of pain and discomfort.


Leave a Comment