July 4th is soon approaching which means that there will be the excitement of food; people, music and the best part of the night are the fireworks.
Although many people enjoy the excitement of a fireworks show many pets do not share the same feelings. Many animals and especially dogs a frightened by the sound and bright colors of the fireworks. And from a pet owners point of view fireworks can also be a dangerous hazard for animals as well.
So how can you keep your pet safe and calm during the fireworks this July 4th?
1. Leave You’re Pet at Home
Keep your pet at home or indoors during the display of fireworks. As this environment will be the safest place for your pet because it will not have a crowd of people, reduce noise levels and will reduce the risk of your pet running away because of the noise.
In addition, this will protect your pet from toxic chemicals and safely away from fireworks which will avoid burns for example.
But keep in mind though that locking your dog up during the display of fireworks is not always an option as it can pose a high risk of heat stroke which can result to other serious illnesses.
If you have to take your pet outside during the fireworks celebration then it is important that your pet has some kind of identification on them. This is because dogs and cats tend to run away or take off when they feel threatened of scared; therefore having identification on them increases your chances of locating them. So make sure that the information is up to date with a name, home and cell phone number and an address.
3. Provide a Safe Spot
It is important to make sure that there is some kind of safe spot for your pet to go to when they feel threatened or scared. This will allow them to relax in a safe place instead of taking off and getting lost. Only use a crate as a safe place for your pet to go if they are use to them and do not have fear connected to the crate.
4. Do Not Use Human Sunscreen or Insect Repellent on Your Pets
Never use the same sunscreen and/or insect repellent that you would use on yourself on your pet. This is because of what isn’t toxic to humans can be extremely toxic towards pets.
Ingestion of any human sunscreen or insect repellent products can cause drooling, vomiting, diarrhea, thirst, lethargy and neurological problems.
However, you can still protect your pets from the sun and insects with pet-friendly products. If you are still unsure about some of the products it is always a good idea to consult with your veterinarian.
5. Keep Clear of Alcohol
During the summer time and especially during the celebrations of July 4th many people like to enjoy a few alcoholic beverages while watching a fireworks display.
However, if you’re pet gets a hold of your alcohol drink it quickly becomes a poison and a toxic substance for them. It can result in weakness, depression, difficulty breathing, vomiting, coma and even death.
Therefore, make sure you keep a close eye on alcoholic beverages and what your pet is up to.
6. Keep matches and Lighters Out of Reach
With a fireworks display, you will need the resources of matches and lighters in order to create an amazing fireworks show.
However, the matches and lighters that are used to spark fireworks contain chlorates, which can cause difficulty breathing and cause blood cell damage in pets and even kidney diseases in some cases.
Fluid from a lighter is also dangerous for pets as it can cause skin infections and burns. Additionally, if consumed it can result to gastrointestinal irritation, nervous system depression, breathing problems and pneumonia.
7. Never Use Fireworks Around Pets
Pets are naturally curious and love to get their nose into anything that seems new and/or different; this includes fireworks. It is important to understand that lit fireworks and even used fireworks pose a serious hazard towards pets. They can cause burns and trauma to the face and paws. Many fireworks contain toxic substances and chemicals that can cause your pet to become ill.
8. Be Prepared For Anything
It is better to be safe than sorry. Therefore, it is especially important if you are away from home to have contact information for your veterinarian and/or the nearest animal hospital on you just in case you are in a situation where you need immediate professional assistance for your pets health and safety.
9. Glow Jewelry on Pets Is a Big No
During firework festivals like July 4th, many events give out glow jewelry to brighten up the night a little. Even though the glow jewelry may look cute especially if you’re putting it on your pet; it is something that you want to make sure that you don’t put on or near your pet.
This is because plastic and the substance inside of the jewelry is toxic. It can cause excessive drooling, ingestion, intestinal blockage and a choking hazard.
10. Talk to Your Veterinarian
If your pet is terrified from fireworks and you have no choice but to bring your pet along; then it is a good idea to consult your veterinarian. This is because there are pet medications and techniques that can help with comforting fear and anxiety.